Answers to Frequently Asked Questions from Students and Parents:
- Where will the seminar be held? The seminar will take place at Washington State University and we will be housed in their Gannon/Goldsworthy Residence Hall. You can view the WSU Campus Map here.
- When will the seminar be held? Seminar participants may register any time after 8:00 a.m. but before 10:30 a.m. on June 15th 2017. The seminar will begin with Ambassador Orientation on June 15th, 2017 at 11:00 a.m. and conclude with Closing Ceremonies on June 18th, 2017 at 12:00 p.m. You must be present for the entire seminar, including overnight.
- Where should I go when I arrive? Once you arrive at the Washington State University Campus, head towards the Gannon/Goldsworthy Residence Hall located at 1459 NE Stadium Way, Pullman, WA 99163. There will be signs along Stadium Way helping direct parents and ambassadors along the way. Once there, a HOBY volunteer committee member will greet you and check you in.
- What kind of program is planned? During your HOBY Leadership Seminar, many dynamics leaders – All volunteers from the fields of business, education, government, and other professions – will address aspects of our changing world and the challenges future leaders will confront. The program will not promote any specific political party, religion, or way of thinking; but is designed to develop critical thinking skills by actively involving participants in discussion and informal debate. During the seminar you will be asked to undertake a community service project(s) involving at least 100 hours during the years following your seminar, to make a difference in your school, community, place of worship, or other environment where you see a need. The program also includes outstanding speakers, leadership activities, social events, and a special closing ceremony to which your parents are invited.
- What are the accommodations like? Participants will be assigned to dorm rooms with two participants per room on floors reserved exclusively for our seminar. Please make sure to review the attached Suggested Packing List found in item 8 of the materials. Everyone will receive nutritious breakfast, lunches and dinners. On the Medical History Records Form, please indicate any special dietary considerations, including vegetarianism, and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- What if i need to take medication while I am at the seminar? Please provide information about your medication on the Medical History Records Form and bring the Physician Medication Verification Form with you to the seminar (documents are included in the form set located at the top of this page). Make sure to read and comply with the Policy for Use of Medication During a HOBY Event.
- If necessary, how may I be contacted during the seminar? Parents, friends and family members are discouraged from calling students during the seminar due to the disruption caused to panels and activities. In case of emergency, your parent(s) or guardian may call Eric Martin at 360-581-7581. The seminar will be chaperoned by qualified adults who will be staying at the facility 24 hours a day.
- Who pays for the seminar? Your school, parent, or sponsor has paid a Registration Fee for the seminar. All costs for meals, lodging and training materials have been generously provided by sponsors throughout our state, including businesses, foundations, individuals, volunteers, and service organizations wishing to support leadership education. If you have not yet sent your payment please do so before the first day of the seminar.
- What should I wear at the seminar? Comfortable clothing is recommended for the seminar. HOBY Washington will provide a shirt that is to be worn for the majority of the seminar, and will be washed and returned nightly. Good walking shoes are highly recommended as many activities will require some walking to and from. Also a rain jacket or umbrella is a good addition in the event some showers fall upon the seminar during outdoor walking periods. Please note that Pullman can be very warm during this time of year.
- What about religious services? A non-denominational service will be provided Sunday prior to the program start. Students wishing to attend are to notify their Facilitators during the seminar for scheduling of wake up calls.
- What transportation arrangements have been made? You are responsible for your transportation to and from the seminar. Please include all details of your itinerary on the enclosed Participant Confirmation Form. If you have any last minute transportation issues on June 15th, please notify Eric Martin at LSC@HOBYWA.org.
- What if I am unable to attend the seminar? If circumstances arise that prevent you from attending the entire seminar, including overnight, we would like to give another student the opportunity to attend. Please return these forms to the person at your school who selected you, and follow up with Eric Martin at Registration@HOBYWA.org.
- Who may I contact should I have any additional questions? Additional questions or concerns should be directed to Eric Martin at LSC@HOBYWA.org or 360-581-7581.
- What actions should I take now? With your parent or guardian, carefully review, complete and sign the forms in this set by March 31st, 2017.
To download a copy of these important FAQ’s please click here.