HOBY Bus Information:
Departure – Kirkland
Departure Date: June 19th, 2019
Departure Time: 4:15 P.M.
Departure Location: Bridle Trails Red Apple Market, 6625 132nd Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033
Return – Kirkland
Return Date: June 23rd, 2019
Return Time: Estimated 7:30 P.M.
Return Location: Bridle Trails Red Apple Market, 6625 132nd Ave NE, Kirkland, WA 98033
Pick-up and drop-off is available in Ellensburg, WA. No discount applied.
Ellensburg Location: Indian John Hill Rest Area, I-90, Ellensburg, WA 98926
Drop-off window on June 19th, 2019 in the evening.
Pick-up window on June 23rd, 2019 in the late afternoon.
One-way transportation discount is unavailable. Full price is required for all passengers.
Will be supervised by 21+ adults (HOBY Volunteers)
Accommodation on June 19th, 2019 will be in the Whitworth dorms. HOBY Staff will be onsite.
Payment can be sent via our PayPal account or by sending in a check to our P.O. Box.
Cost and payment
Payment Includes: two-way transportation, three meals, and accommodation on June 19th.
Payment required by June 1st, 2019.
HOBY Bus PayPal Link
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions from Students and Parents 2019:
- Where will the seminar be held?
- The 2019 HOBY Washington Seminar will take place at Whitworth University, Arend Hall, Spokane, WA.
- When will the seminar be held?
- Seminar registration begins at 9:00 a.m. and ends at 10:30 a.m. on June 20th, 2019. Note that registration and move-in will take around 15 minutes. Seminar activities will begin at 10:30 a.m. on June 20th, 2019 and the seminar will conclude at 12:00 p.m. on June 23rd, 2019. You must be present for the entire seminar, including overnight. You must be present for the entire seminar, including overnight.
- Where should I go when I arrive?
- Proceed to Hixson Union Building (HUB). A HOBY volunteer committee member will greet you and check you in.
- What kind of program is planned?
- During your HOBY Leadership Seminar, many dynamic leaders—all volunteers from the fields of business, education, government, and other professions—will address aspects of our changing world and the challenges future leaders will confront. The program will not promote any specific political party, religion, or way of thinking; but is designed to develop critical thinking skills by actively involving participants in discussions and informal debate. During the seminar, you will be asked to undertake a community service project(s) involving at least 100 hours during the year following your seminar, to make a difference in your school, community, place of worship, or other environment where you see a need. The program also includes outstanding speakers, leadership activities, social events, and a special closing ceremony to which your parents are invited.
- What are the accommodations like?
- Participants will be assigned to dorms rooms with 2-4 participants per room on floors reserved exclusively for the seminar. Linens will not be provided, so please be sure to bring a sleeping bag, pillow(s), blanket(s) and/or linens of your choice. Everyone will receive nutritious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. On the Medical History Records Form, please indicate any special dietary considerations, including vegetarianism, and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- What if I need to take medication while I am at the seminar?
- Please provide information about your medication on the Medical History Records Form and send the Physician Medication Verification Form to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 10th, 2019.
- If necessary, how may I be contacted during the seminar?
- Parents, friends and family members are discouraged from calling students during the seminar due to the disruption caused to panels and activities. In case of emergency, your parent(s) or guardian(s) may call Eric Martin, Leadership Seminar Chair, at 360-581-7581. The seminar will be chaperoned by qualified adults who will be staying at the facility 24 hours a day.
- Who pays for the seminar?
- Your school, parent, or sponsor has paid a Registration Fee. All costs for meals, lodging, and program materials have been generously provided by sponsors throughout our state, including businesses, foundations, individuals, volunteers, and service organizations wishing to support leadership education. If you have not yet sent your payment, please do so before the first day of the seminar.
- What should I wear at the seminar?
- Comfortable clothing is recommended for the seminar. HOBY Washington will provide a tee-shirt that is to be worn for the majority of the seminar and will be washed and returned for the next day. Good walking shoes are highly recommended as many activities will require some walking to and from. Also, a rain jacket or umbrella is a good addition in the event some showers fall upon the seminar during outdoor walking periods.
- What about religious services?
- An optional non-denominational service will be scheduled.
- What transportation arrangements have been made?
- You are responsible for your transportation to and from the seminar. Please include all details of your itinerary on the enclosed Participant Confirmation Form. We have also arranged for a HOBY bus to transport attendees from Kirkland to Spokane, and back. The cost of the bus is $130 per participant and includes three additional meals and one additional night at Whitworth University. The bus will leave on June 19th, 2019 in the afternoon and return June 23rd, 2019 in the evening.
- What if I am unable to attend the seminar? If circumstances arise that prevent you from attending the entire seminar, including overnight, we would like to give another student the opportunity to attend. Please return these forms to the person at your school who selected you, and follow up with Eric Martin at email@example.com.
- Who may I contact should I have any additional questions? Additional questions or concerns should be directed to Eric Martin, Leadership Seminar Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 360-581-7581.
- What actions should I take now? With your parent or guardian, carefully review, complete and sign the forms in this set by May 10th, 2019.