- Where will the seminar be held? The seminar will take place at Whitworth University in Spokane, WA.
- When will the seminar be held? Seminar participants may register any time after 9:00 a.m. but before 10:45 am on June 16th, 2022. The seminar will begin with Ambassador Orientation on Thursday, June 16th, 2022 at 11 am and conclude with Closing Ceremonies on Sunday, June 19th, 2022 at 12 pm. You must be present for the entire seminar, including overnight.
- Where should I go when I arrive? We will have tables set up outside or right inside the Hixson Union Building (HUB) at Whitworth University. A HOBY volunteer will greet you and check you in. Note only participants may enter dorms and finish their registration process. We are aiming to keep everyone safe, and need to account for all those on campus. There are two close parking lots off Whitworth drive. Whitworth campus map can be found here.
- What kind of program is planned? During your HOBY Leadership Seminar, many dynamic leaders—all volunteers from the fields of business, education, government, and other professions—will address aspects of our changing world and the challenges future leaders will confront. The Program is based on the Social Change Model of leadership. The program will not promote any specific political party, religion, or way of thinking; but is designed to develop critical thinking skills by actively involving participants in discussions and informal debates. During the seminar, and after being equipped with the tools necessary, you will be asked to undertake a community service project (or projects) within your own community involving at least 100 hours of service during the year following your seminar. The purpose is to make a difference in your school, community, place of worship, or any other environment where you see a need.
- What are the accommodations like? Participants will be assigned to dorm rooms with one roommate on floors reserved exclusively for the seminar. Participants are required to bring their own bed linens and toiletries. Everyone will receive nutritious breakfasts, lunches, and dinners. On the Medical History Records Form, please indicate any special dietary considerations, including vegetarianism, and we will do our best to accommodate you.
- What if I need to take medication while I am at the seminar? Please provide information about your medication in the Emergency Medical Information and bring the Physician Medication Verification Form with you to the seminar (documents are included in the Emergency Medical Information, which you must complete in addition to this form set). Make sure to read and comply with the Policy for Use of Medication During a HOBY Event.
- If necessary, how may I be contacted during the seminar? Parents, friends, and family members are discouraged from calling students during the seminar due to the disruption caused to panels and activities. In case of emergency, your parent(s) or guardian may call the Leadership Seminar Chair Justine Keller at 215-932-6791. The seminar will be chaperoned by qualified adults who will be staying at the facility 24 hours a day.
- Who pays for the seminar? Your school or parent has paid a Registration Fee and will provide transportation to and from the seminar. All costs for meals, lodging, and training materials have been generously provided by sponsors throughout our state, including businesses, foundations, individuals, and service organizations wishing to support leadership education. Everyone who has put together this seminar and all those on-site are all volunteers.
- What should I wear at the seminar? Dress is casual throughout the weekend, with the exception of Sunday is “dress-up.” You will be provided a HOBY tee-shirt, but you will change out of it for us to wash it.
- What about religious services? On Sunday we provide an optional non-denomination service.
- What transportation arrangements have been made? You are responsible for your transportation to and from the seminar, except that we provide an option for our HOBY bus. For those further away from the seminar site, we provide an option for joining the HOBY bus. The bus leaves on Wednesday, June 15th, 2022, in the afternoon and arrives on campus, picking up students in Kirkland and Ellensburg. The bus will return on Sunday, June 19th, 2022.
The price is $135 per student, including round-trip transport, accommodation in dorms, and three additional meals. If you wish to use this option, select HOBY Bus below.
- Are there specific COVID-related requirements for the seminar? Yes, everyone is required to have up-to-date vaccinations, with medical exceptions only. Our full COVID-19 information is available on our website here.
- What if I am unable to attend the seminar? If circumstances arise that prevent you from attending the entire seminar, including overnight, we would like to give another student the opportunity to attend. Please notify the HOBY contact at your school as soon as possible, and follow up with an email to our Director of Recruitment, Erin Kaufman, at email@example.com.
- Who should I contact if I have additional questions? Additional questions or concerns should be directed to the Leadership Seminar Chair, Justine Keller at LSC@hobywa.org.
- What if my parent(s)/guardian(s) have more questions? Questions can be directed to the Leadership Seminar Chair, Justine Keller at LSC@hobywa.org and/or you can attend our friends and family webinar on June 13th, 2022 at 7 pm PT.
2022 Important Information and FAQsJonathan Walsh2022-05-01T16:26:26-07:00